Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Minecraft Server Status

play.communitycraft.co:25565

Online (0/51)

Minecraft Exploit that might want us to reconsider Server Openness in Short Term

Hi All,

I don't think it's a big deal and I'm sure now that it's been made public, Mojang will come up with a fix, but perhaps in the short term we should reconsider the server growth strategy? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Eh if they have not acted on it in over 2 years it probably very rarely happens. 
  • edited April 2015
    Mojang has known about it for 2 years but now the world knows about it. Just takes one person and considering griefing occurs, it's not out the realm of possibility. But I just wanted to start a discussion.
  • There's nothing we can do about it ourselves except watch for reports of other servers getting hit, or recognizing the signs ourselves (processor maxed, memory maxed, java consuming all resources - just like when Minecraft fails on its own).  If I understand right no account handshake is required, so everyone is equally vulnerable.

I'm not that worried about it myself, but thanks for the heads up.
  • Looks like spigot may already have it patched.  Ill have to update when i can.
  • Mojang has just updated to 1.8.4 to fix this. No more problems. 
  • Yes it did. We can close this threat now.
  • Any public service you can send bad packets to the server. Sometimes this is normal and sometime its on purpose. Just know in the US it is a major felony, and most people dont even know how to do it. This is nothing to worry about.
This discussion has been closed.